The History Masseria Ferri
The in the
territory of Ostuni,
close to the border of Martina franca, date back about three
centuries ago, when ,around 1718, it was garanted the formation
of a support for the Masseria, a first limited agro-pastoral
group, extended only 3 “tomoli”.
The area was a part, since the low Middle Ages, of a large
ecclesiastical feud, first belonged to a Benedictine convent,
and then a monastic order of knights.
The Abbey of San Salvatore in Pecorara, which includes rural
homonyms monastery and church(until the seventh century there
were ruins) whose existence is known since 1120 thanks to the
discovery of parchments dated from 1206 to 1304, containing the
names of three Benedictine .
Abbots, subject to the bishop of Ostuni ,which had a substantial
The Feud of San Salvatore was called in the eighteenth century
“Defense of San Salvatore” ,and on an unknown date the property
passed to the Order of St. John of Jerusalem (from 1530 Order of
the Knights of Malta).
In the course of the eighteenth century the owner preferred to
assign parts of the feud in lease to private parties to increase
incomes, asking for the “decima”( 10%)on the harvests, till the
abolition of feudalism and ecclesiastical institutions.(1806-1809)
In the feud of San Salvatore, in 2449 extended tomoli,(2085
hectares),as measured in 1797, they built 25 farms, mostly owned
by people of Martina.
One of these was Masseria Ferro, headed to the Magnificent
Goffredo Domenico called Ferro from which derives the current
name with an extension of 60 hectares of land "decimal".
Decimal was called the land on which it was charged the fee of
tenth part of the harvests, collected by the dealer.
Subsequently, following the marriage in 1797 between Donna
Teresa Goffredo of Antonio and Don Francesco Lella of
Bonaventura, the Masseria became property of the family Lella.
His son Donato Lella built, along with primitive buildings of
the 17th century, a comfortable country house dating 1854 as
written on the entry portal, with the adjacent chapel dedicated
to Our Lady of Grace.
It is currently owned by the family Lella